My kids love Sloppy Joes, or should I say they love Messy Burgers. My son changed the name when he was about 3. You see to him anything on a bun was a burger, could be PB&J and it was a PB&J burger. His introduction to the Sloppy Joe was a very messy one and he told me “mommy dis is a messy burger”, from that moment on when he wanted Sloppy Joes he would request Messy Burgers.
Typically I would brown my ground beef, add a can of Manwich and voila, Messy Burgers. Tonight however when I was asked to make Messy Burgers I decided to continue with my make my own…no Manwich tonight. I checked to ensure I had everything I needed and fortunately I did so my messy burger creation began.
My version of the messy burger didn’t get the rave reviews I expected but they were still pretty good. My youngest did however eat four of them so they must have been pretty good. I finally made myself you, you know how moms are…we always eat last. It was pretty good but a bit on the sweet side. The recipe that I’m posting is the one I made tonight but I will be tweaking it using less sugar and will repost the results.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and red bell pepper; saute for 5 more minutes, or until onion is tender. Drain the fat.
- Mix in tomato paste and water, stirring until paste is dissolved. Stir in garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, vinegar, brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Continue to heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until mixture is thick and stewy.
Messy Burgers…its whats cooking 2 nite.