Couldn’t decide what to cook tonight so my son looked through all my pinned food items and decided on this one. So before leaving for the day I threw the chicken, soup, and onions in, set the crockpot to hi and off I went. I came home to what smelled like my grandma cooking in her kitchen on Sunday. How I miss that smell and that chicken…mouth watering now at the memories.
I quickly whipped up some cornbread and threw it in the oven Jerseys then started cooking the rice. Then went to the pantry for the corn…OMG no corn!!!!! Peas will have to do, yes here I go again changing up someone’s recipe. My kids like corn so we go through a lot and I do find myself running out a lot and yes I do tend to substitute peas or green beans, but the positive spin on that is that the peas give this dish some color.
Rice done, peas drained, cheese measured, into the crockpot they Hello go. Once I started to stir them in the chicken just fell apart and the smell was so good I couldn’t wait to try it. Let it sit a bit longer to get the peas warmed through, then added another cup of cheese….we like cheesy.
This recipe is from Southern Plate. Check out her site she has some great recipes and some funny stories.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -8 ounce box Zatarain’s Yellow Rice Mix, cooked according to directions
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 – 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup (regular or fat free)
- 1 -15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Scatter chopped onion over top. Spoon cream soup over top of that. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. A few minutes before serving, add in cooked rice, corn, and cheese. Stir to combine. Serve hot.
My son took the first bite….”This is awesome”. This recipe is now going to the keep pile, and it’s what’s cookin 2nite.